October 1, 2009

Tall ornamental grass - my mistake.


Miscanthus giganteus - name of mistake.
Firstly - mistake of distracted mind to buy it.
Secondly - mistake to plant it here. Too tall, too much out of context. In the nursery websites they write: good to plant at the pond.
Not in this case.


I admit that Miscanthus giganteus looks pretty in other gardens, especially after about 3 years, when it gets denser, but in this case it’s clear mistake.

Place is completely wrong - it competes with Cornus controversa – the tree growing on the left side. Too tall in comparison with the rest of planting.

I garden, so I make mistakes, right? Mistakes in the garden can be corrected. So I did. I was not able to remove it by myself – the rhizome is hard like stone. I tried, but I gave up. With HIS help we removed ‘giganteus mistakeus’ last autumn, 1 year ago.
You may see on the picture what happened 1 year after operation. Tadadam! Grew back in only 12 months. Doesn’t want to go away.

Do you think I shall treat it as a sign or should I be persistent?
Recommended further reading The Encyclopedia of Grasses for Livable Landscapes

9 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ewa ... I may be the wrong person to comment on this because I am an intense ornamental grass fan especially of the TALL variety .. but I will wade in on the question in spite of myself .. LEAVE it there girl ! It is a sign !! LOL

Darla said...

I am very choosy about my grasses too! Gardening is all about trial and error and I lean more towards the error part.

Tara Dillard said...

It's amazing how often intuition is correct.

Would Monet paint it with/without the tall grass?

You know the answer !!

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

Sprout said...

Persist! It doesn't work in that location.

Leroy Parker said...

Be persistant, but you might need a professional gardener to do the work. They have an extra sense about monstrous root balls.

Antigonum Cajan said...

I would get rid of it. Congratulations,
not very often gardeners anywhere
share the mistakes...I do when
they happen...Until next.

Victoria Cummings said...

I'm a big fan of persistence - it almost always pays off. The other option would be to plant more things around it so that it doesn't stick out and looks more settled. This would also give you the excuse to buy more plants (which is always enjoyable).

Kathryn/plantwhateverbringsyoujoy.com said...

I'm wondering if this is what we call in California pampas grass, which we regard as invasive and we are instructed to pull it up when we find it in the wild and to try not to plant. The sheer fact that it came back makes me think it will only get harder to get rid of later. I'd take it as a sign that it's hard to get manage, and I'd be managing NOW rather than later. Even if it is beautiful... :)

Ewa said...

Kathryn,
Pampas grass (cortaderia) is not invasive here, because it is usually killed by winter frost.
This one on the picture is different kind (miscanthus)- taller, frost resistant and used here for bioenergy production.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS