October 29, 2013

Propagating basil from cuttings - experiment results

Remember when I started those basil cuttings? It was 5 weeks ago. You may see it here.
After 4 weeks first tiny root appeared and frankly I was not sure whether it's a root or not. Today, 5 weeks after I am sure my basil cullings are rooting!
In the meantime I was noly adding water, not exchanging with fresh one.


My recommendation is clear. Propagating basil from cuttings works. If you can do it, still this autumn, save your overmatured basil plants by taking cuttings. This way it's possible to enjoy your own basil entire winter.  



3 comments:

Merrill and Carol Johnson said...

I discovered this by putting some large basil stems in a glass of water and placing it in the kitchen window. By doing this I could have a some fresh basil leaves in my tomato sandwich or salad. After a period of time to my surprise I noticed the roots. Tomato cuttings root the same way.

Retro blue said...

Ooooo, wypuscily korzonki!
Super!

Claude said...

Yep. Many herbs can be rooted this way. I'm surprised it took that long, tho.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS